Attacking bathroom mold
The never-ending job of tackling bathroom mold can seem overwhelming, but we have some solutions to make it manageable. As with our commercial cleaning products, RNA believes in going green, when possible.
First, find a home solution instead of buying expensive store-bought chemicals. Here are three inexpensive options:
Create a vinegar solution for a safe, non-toxic mold killer. White vinegar is a great way to remove mold from a variety of different surfaces. Pour the vinegar directly into a spray bottle to use it. It doesn’t need to be diluted at all, as it is the most effective when it isn’t watered down. You don’t need to rinse away the vinegar after you have used it.
- Although the smell can be unpleasant, it usually clears within 1-2 hours. You can open a window or turn on a fan to help the smell disappear faster.
Use a Borax solution for a natural mold remover. Borax is a natural insecticide and fungicide. Mix together 1 cup (204 g) of Borax with 1 US gal (3.8 L)of water and then pour the solution into a spray bottle. Simply spray the solution directly on the surface you want to clean. Borax doesn’t need to be rinsed off, as it can prevent more mold from growing in the future.
- You can find Borax in the laundry section of grocery stores. It is a white mineral powder.
- Borax is dangerous to consume, but unlike bleach, it doesn’t release toxic fumes.
Choose a bleach solution as a last resort. Although bleach is effective at killing mold on non-porous surfaces such as showers, basins, and tiles, it is a toxic substance and needs to be used carefully. Create a bleach solution with 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and place this into a spray bottle. You don’t need to rinse the bleach solution away afterward unless pets or small children might touch the surface.
- Always wear gloves when working with bleach and keep the area well-ventilated to avoid inhaling the fumes.
- Bleach can cause eye, lung, and skin irritations.
Secondly, make sure you protect yourself, your children and your pets by properly ventilating the area while using these options.
Lastly, we suggest wearing protective gloves to protect your skin and old clothes that won’t get ruined.